Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Houskeeping

Just a note on the comments. As I mentioned before, I went ahead and switched over to Disqus for comments. Disqus is a commenting system that works on virtually any blogging/web platform, so you can create a single user ID and then comment on any Disqus-enabled site through a single log-in. It's a very handy thing not to have to log in to a bunch of different platforms in order to comment. Log in once, then forget about it. You can also create an avatar and provide a link back to your own blog, which might help drive traffic to your own site. Also, the Freeman uses Disqus, so your user name from over there will now work on the Cloakroom.

The reason I bring this up, is because there are still people who are somehow making comments under the old in-house commenting system blogger uses by default. These comments show up when I look at the comments section of the dashboard, but they don't appear on the post itself, likely because they're hidden behind the Disqus applet (which commandeers the space formerly occupied by the blogger comment system). I don't know why this is happening. My only guess is that the commenters are still seeing the old format. You can probably fix this by clearing your browser cache, or by upgrading to a more recent browser.

I would also like point out that you can still post anonymously on the Cloakroom, so the new system hasn't changed anything in that regard. I also wanted to let know those commenters whose responses haven't appeared that I'm not shit-canning them. They're somehow being eaten. Sorry about the inconvenience.

p.s. I recommend a pseudonym, myself. That way, when you make a comment, people know who they are engaging with -- even if they don't know who the real person is. Doing it this way creates better dialogue. Give it some thought, folks. Of course, if you want total anonymity, you can always download the Tor Browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment