Friday, November 9, 2012

Team Romney in Action

Here's a review of the GOP's vaunted GOTV operation from a true believer:
By 2PM, I had completely given up. I finally got ahold of someone at around 1PM and I never heard back. From what I understand, the entire system crashed at around 4PM. I'm not sure if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me. I decided to wait for my wife to get home from work to vote, which meant going very late (around 6:15PM). Here's the kicker, I never got a call to go out and vote. So, who the hell knows if that end of it was working either.

So, the end result was that 30,000+ of the most active and fired-up volunteers were wandering around confused and frustrated when they could have been doing anything else to help. Like driving people to the polls, phone-banking, walking door-to-door, etc. We lost by fairly small margins in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and Colorado. If this had worked could it have closed the gap? I sure hope not for my sanity's sake.

The bitter irony of this entire endeavor was that a supposedly small government candidate gutted the local structure of GOTV efforts in favor of a centralized, faceless organization in a far off place (in this case, their Boston headquarters). Wrap your head around that.
Hah! Try wrapping your head around the fact that Romney and his team actually thought they have what it takes to run the executive office of the president of the United States. When I hear about this kind of incompetence in regard to something so simple, such as getting people to the polls, and then I look at Romney's blithering overseas tour this past summer, I have to ask my conservative friends, just what the hell was it that you saw in this guy, other than the fact that he's not black the other guy? Seriously? He'd have driven the country into the ditch at the first bend in the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment